Ceremony held to mark the anniversary of the death of Malvern’s war hero in WWI



[ad_1]

THE Tomb of a Malvern War Hero has been officially rededicated.

A team of volunteers helped restore the monument to Captain Alan Charles Lorraine Bate, who was killed in France in 1918.

Captain Bate’s memorial stone had been set aside, so veterans Tony Hacon and Tim Kidwell decided to have it restored.

Joined by Malvern City Council, they were able to repair and replace the stone, and a special ceremony was held on October 25 to unveil it.

The task of restoring the tomb involved getting expert advice on how to reset it.

Mr. Hacon and Mr. Kidwell are veterans of the Royal Artillery, the same regiment that Captain Bate served.

The service took place on the 103rd anniversary of the death of Captain Bate.

In attendance were three members of the Royal Artillery Reserve Battery, the modern descendant of the WWI captain’s unit.

There was also Adrian Wright, county chairman of the Royal British Legion and David Williams, county standard bearer.

Kevin Street, a city music teacher performed The Last Post and The Tomb Revival during the ceremony, led by the Reverend. Tony Whalley.

John Bate-William, one of Captain Bate’s surviving relatives, said: “It was a remarkable day, a fascinating and moving ceremony, and it was wonderful to see Alan remember such wonderful company.

“Those who were at his grave in 1918 would not have dreamed that Alan’s sacrifice would be commemorated more than a century later, in the presence of fellow regiments.”

Mr. Hacon and Mr. Kidwell also thanked the groups and individuals who helped fund the project.

Special thanks were extended to Humanihut and the Malvern Civic Society for their donations, as well as to the Royal Artillery Institution.

Mr Hacon said: “Without all these people and their generosity in giving time and money, this project could not have been completed and Alan Bate’s grave would have remained a poor reflection in his memory.”

[ad_2]

Previous Eliminate PCR testing for Canadian seniors, say roundtable members
Next 'Hocus Pocus' star Omri Katz says he has not been approached about the sequel | TMZ - Oakland News Now

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.