Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong is proving to be hot property this summer, although Chelsea could not seal a deal for the Dutchman by including Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso in the deal. The pair have previously been named as the La Liga side’s transfer targets.
Manchester United have been trying to secure De Jong’s signature all summer, although negotiations have stalled on what appears to be a weekly basis.
Many reasons have been given for the Red Devils failing to reach a deal, such as the player wanting to stay at Barcelona and also because he is expecting a big payment from his employers.
But Chelsea have now opened negotiations with the Catalan giants and believe they can bring the midfielder to the Premier League. Thomas Tuchel’s chances of landing De Jong are also boosted due to Barcelona’s interest in Azpilicueta and Alonso, but sport report that the pair are unlikely to be directly involved in the deal.
They say it would be ‘less beneficial’ for Barca to accept such a deal due to La Liga wage limits. Therefore, they will demand a fee in the region of £66m.
READ MORE: Chelsea ‘plotting Kyle Walker-Peters left-field transfer’ after Marc Cucurella deal
However, club captain Azpilicueta might be harder to replace. Speaking about Barca’s approach to the 32-year-old earlier this summer, Tuchel said: “We don’t think so much about other clubs. The focus is on us and what we need. I told him say that and I tell you that I understand on a personal and professional level.
“But I’m not just in this role to give him what he wants. I am a Chelsea manager who wants to do what is best for Chelsea. He doesn’t like it but he understands. It’s hard for him because the other club is always on him. On September 1, when things calm down, then he can play at his highest level.”